FOLLOW US. JOIN US. RWDC FACEBOOK
2016/2017 Real World Design Challenge Getting Started Page
What should my team do to get started?
Step 1: Register:Click the link below and fill out the form. Teams can be between 3-7 students and must have a coach. A coach can register more than one team. Students are NOT allowed to participate on more than one team.
- Registration Closed
Step 2: Download the Software.First if you are a first time user or have not already created a PTC academic account. Next check to see the system requirements then follow the steps below
- Create an academic account
- PTC Creo 2.0
- Installation instructions are listed here.
- The Universal License Code is: BK390206EDSTUDENTEDK12
If you have any issues Request Technical Support and you will receive a response on how to deal with your individual issue
Step 3: Read the Coaches Guide and Challenge statement.The easiest way to get your team prepared for this challenge is to review the RWDC Coaches Handbook. The handbook will outline the details for this challenge and what your team is expected to complete.
- 2016/2017 RWDC Coaches/ Students Guide
- 2016/2017 RWDC National Challenge Statement
- 2016/2017 RWDC Challenge Detailed Background
Step 4: Get a Mentor.The success of a team to solve the given challenge usually requires the help from a mentor. Mentors help teams in an area that they have no expertise. Please review the list and contact a mentor as soon as possible.
Step 5: Learn the Software.Below are links to tutorials to learn Creo. There is also a link to put in a request for technical support. If you have a licensing or other issue with the software please submit a request for technical support. After your request you should receive a detailed message on how to fix your issue. There will also be some webinars scheduled to teach how to use the software.
Step 6: Review additional materials about challenge subjects
Here are some recordings of the webinars done for this years challenge. More webinars will be added throughout the year. Below are recordings of webinars going over this years challenge.
- UAS, the engineering design process and aero perf factors October 20 Watch the recording here
- Precision agriculture and mission design November 3 Watch the recording here
- Creating a business plan November 17 at 8PM Watch the recording here
- Q&A session either December 1 here
- Patenting your design December 15 at 8PM ET here
RWDC Module 1 - Overview of UAS
- Part 1 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/so11w
- Part 2 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/uaygq
- Part 3 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/uczm4
- Part 4 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/rmfw7
RWDC Module 2 - Engineering Design and Aero Perf Factors
- Part 1 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/u31s4
- Part 2 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/wjudr
- Part 3 of 4: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/lrc1z
- Part 4 of 4 (rotorcraft aerodynamics, which is only relevant if a hybrid vehicle is being designed): http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/z45pr
RWDC Module 3 - Precision Agriculture and UAS
- Part 1 of 3: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/jh1fc
- Part 2 of 3: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/xkrv6
- Part 3 of 3 (first part contains material that was specific to the 2013-2014 Challenge: Corn Borer detection): http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/icu2q
RWDC Module 4 -http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/o0w25